Demonstrated history of related experience as a cook/baker in a large institutional kitchen, or in the military as a Cook.
Certificate in food handling/sanitation methods, or ServSafe certified preferred. Good customer service skills. Must have solid work ethics.
- Prepare meals using established recipe cards, production procedures, and systems while ensuring that all tasks are done in accordance with SOP. Must be able to use standardized measuring cups, spoons, knife, forks, large kitchen utensils, pots and pans.
- Prepare food to coordinate with meal serving hours so that quality, temperature, and excellent appearance of food are preserved. Ensure that the progressive cooking technique is utilized in preparing all meals. Operate, basic kitchen equipment, stove,
oven, microwave, refrigerator, etc. Judge the appearance of food being served, and recommend changes if necessary.
- Determine amount and type of food and supplies required using production systems.
- Set steam tables; serve or ensure proper serving of food.
- Comply with established sanitation standards, personal hygiene, and health standards. Observe proper food preparation and handling techniques.
- Store food properly and safely; date-mark items.
- Safe operation and maintenance for all kitchen equipment.
- Proper food sanitation and storage practices.
- Basic arithmetic, simple record keeping, and portion control and ability of deciding how many portions/servings in a container/pan.
- The characteristics of various foods prepared. e.g.; color, consistency, volume, and cooking time.
- Cooking methods involving all types such as baking, grilling, frying, steaming, boiling, etc.
- Follow oral and written instructions such as worksheets, menus, and schedules.
- Ability to follow standard recipe cards and worksheets as to the number of portions to prepare, etc.
- Planning, coordinating and time sequence steps needed to prepare food on time to minimize overcooking or waste.
- Communicate and interact among management and personnel.
- May frequently require lifting or moving objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Duties require considerable walking and standing for prolonged periods of time.
- Tasks may include frequent bending, stooping, and reaching.
Adhere to the BCI policies, rules and regulations as set forth in the Employee Handbook.
Comply with all HACCP standards.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Duties may be assigned by the Head Cook, Supervisor, or Project Manager.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.